2 April 2009

Typography Evaluation OUDG204

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

In this module i have greatly developed my understanding of typography and the rules and formalities of it. Every week after sessions in the mac suite i developed ideas in my own time based on what we did in the sessions. I think creating a CV, logo, business card and letterhead was most useful, to create this it was easier as i applied what i had learned in the sessions. I have found it useful in other areas of my design, such as designing posters and leaflets. Having this underlying knowledge of type is always there now so i can use it in all my work.

2. What approaches to generating work and solutions to problems have you developed and how have they helped?

When generating work for my type journal i developed work i had undertaken in the taught sessions and i looked at and analyzed type design, layout design and illustrated text that i found interesting or relevant to what i was being taught. This analysis has helped me to solve problems in other areas of my design work and in my personal interest in design too. By looking at typefaces and fonts i now understand what makes a font appropriate and the best way to use it efficiently for what i want it to communicate.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think the strengths in my work are more to do with typefaces and fonts, by analyzing fonts i have come to understand their uses and effectivness and I will capitalise on this by looking at hand drawn fonts and trying to devlop my own skills in creating similar work as this is an area i am more interested in typography.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how could you exploit these more fully?

I think my weaknesses are in layout and i think i need to improve this in my other areas of design too. I could exploit this by choosing to do something solely layout driven to make me focus on that and that alone so i would have no other option to design a good piece of layout.

5. Identify five things that you would do different and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Keep up to date with work so i dont get a backlog of work.
2. Experiment more, drawing fonts and typography to gain a better understanding.
3. Develop my own typeface for the experience of developing one from scratch.
4. Look at more illustrated typography as that is something i am more interested in.
5. Experiment more with waht i look at for reference material so i get a wider view of things.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:

Attendance = 4
Punctuality = 5
Motivation = 4
Commitment = 4
Quantity of work produced = 4
Quality of work produced = 4
Contribution to the group = 3

No comments: